Monday, March 21, 2011

Recipe - Smoky Chipotle Chili with Maple Ham

Here is one I came up with last week. It's easy, hearty, and SO delicious! Feel free to modify to suit your spice preferences. I left it pretty simple to let the maple and chipotle flavors shine through, but if you wanted to add other spices you could. The ham I made the night before, and used the leftovers for this chili. I got a natural-cured ham steak in my CSA share, and when I asked what to do with this, the lady who runs the CSA suggested I bake it in the oven with maple syrup. So I smothered it with maple syrup and baked for about 30 minutes. I ate part of it with a green salad and Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, and it was really delicious, but there is only so much ham I can take, so I diced the rest of it up, and added it, along with the maple syrup drippings, to this dish that I threw together the next morning in the crockpot. It turned out to be one of my favorite ham dishes ever!

Smoky Chipotle Chili with Maple Ham (serves 4-5)

Ingredients added to crockpot.
Ingredients:
1/2 lb diced natural/organic ham + 1/4 c. maple syrup (may be baked together ahead of time to deepen the flavor, but you don't have to)
1 1/2 c. dry pinto beans (soaked, rinsed, and drained)
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 canned chipotle chili, minced, + 1 spoonful of adobo sauce from the can
Water

Instructions:
1. Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Add water until just barely covered.
2. Cover crockpot and cook on Low for 12 hours (or High for 7-8 hours).
3. Serve with steamed greens, cornbread, and a light refreshing beer (if desired).
4. Enjoy!

Note: This dish is pretty spicy. If you wish to reduce the spice some, use only part of the chipotle, or omit the adobo sauce.

Yum, yum, yum!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments and suggestions!