Friday, January 27, 2012

Recipe - Jalapeno Cornbread (In A Cast Iron Skillet)

Here is one of my favorite cast iron skillet recipes. My mom made this, and this was one of the few spicy foods we would all eat as kids - it was sooo good! I tried making it once years ago, and it didn't turn out very good at all - nothing like what I remembered. But that was before I got my first cast iron skillet.... I made it again this year, and it was amazing!

Hope you enjoy it, and feel free to of course add your own variations!

Jalapeno Cornbread:

English: Cast iron skillet cornbread with baco...Image via WikipediaSift together:
3/4 cup corn meal
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt

Add to dry ingredients and mix well:
1 cup milk
1 egg, well beaten
2 TB shortening, melted (may also use butter, bacon fat, or chicken fat)
1 small onion, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, minced (remove some of the seeds and veins if you prefer it less spicy)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or mix cheddar and Monterey Jack, or use Colby Jack, or Swiss - feel free to experiment!)
  • Pour batter into a well-greased 8-10 inch cast iron skillet. 
  • Bake at 400-degrees (F) for 20 minutes, or until risen and golden brown. 
  • Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments and suggestions!